It’s simple but important. The way you sit and stand has an impact on your overall health. Here are some guidelines and tips from Infinity Rehab on what you should pay attention to in your posture and how to find some much-needed relief.
The effects of poor posture on your health
Poor posture, like slumping forward or slouching, can contribute to health issues like:
- Decreased flexibility
- Back, neck, and shoulder pain
- Additional wear to your spine
- Balance issues
- Difficulty breathing and digesting food
As we age, less physical activity can become the primary cause of poor posture. Talk with an Infinity Rehab therapist about your posture.
To ice or to heat? How to relieve pain
Ice and heat can help relieve some of that aching pain that comes from poor posture. Here are a few steps on when and how to use these therapies.
- Check with your doctor first to determine if it’s safe for you to use heat and cold therapy
- Use heat to increase blood flow to the affected area – this is best for relaxing stiff or painful joints and muscles
- Use a cold compress on a small injury like a sprained ankle to reduce swelling and calm the pain
- Take a warm shower or use a heading pad (for up to 20 minutes at a time) to reduce stiffness
- Apply an ice pack or even a frozen bag of veggies for 10-15 minutes, but never longer than 20 minutes
Important things to remember:
- Never apply a cold or hot compress directly to the skin. Always use a towel or other cloth between the compress and your skin.
- If you are tired or are on a medication that makes you drowsy, do not use heat or cold therapy. Falling asleep with a hot or cold pack could injure your skin.
Therapy can reduce pain
Occupational and physical therapy can also help reduce muscle and joint pain and increase your ability to do the daily activities you’ve always enjoyed.
Speak with an Infinity Rehab therapist to discuss ways to reduce pain, pay attention to posture, and stay more active.